Saturday, September 17, 2011

Liam James Elliott

I remember taking the pregnancy test and showing James. We cried and prayed and thanked the Lord. We found out that we were expecting our first child in March 2005, due date was December 4th. I wasn’t really prepared for the things that happen to you when you are pregnant, doing trivial things was such a big deal! We were living in the “Love Shack”, as I call it, the Barn behind the Lombard’s house in Redlands. We knew we couldn’t bring a baby home to a studio apartment and so, with some references from friends, we moved into a 3 bedroom apartment called “The Ranch”, in Riverside. We decided not to find out what we were having which meant the nursery had to be gender neutral. I chose a rustic theme and painted wooden alphabet letters and tied bows on them for the room border. We were so excited. December 4th was approaching and my mid-wife thought the baby wasn’t growing enough. I was put on bed rest for a week or so. My due date came and went. James’ parents and sister arrived on December 8th for the happy occasion, which had not happened yet. I didn’t realize this until later, but it was only my third time being around James family.
I was getting pretty desperate and Sunday December 12th James and I did a lot of walking. In the early hours of the morning I went into labor. After going to the mid-wife’s at 8 am I was only 2 centimeters. They told me to go home and rest and that most likely the baby would arrive that night. Around 5:30 pm I knew we needed to get to the birth-center, driving in traffic, in labor is not fun. By 9 pm I was fully dilated, but did not know it. Around midnight, I told James that I felt like something was wrong if I didn’t start pushing. Within 50 minutes our first child was born. I remember everyone yelling “Its a boy!” Liam was born at 12:50 am on December 13th 9lbs even and 21 inches long. They were concerned about his coloring, he looked grey, and not breathing. James prayed with me and within 10 minutes Liam had already improved. There is no feeling like the first time you hold your baby. It is the most amazing experience I have ever had. I felt like I had known him all my life and couldn’t imagine life without him. James took to Liam and bonded with him for the first little while, and even changed all his diapers for the first 2 weeks! His cry was so sweet, and thankfully not annoying. He was a good little baby, he ate, slept and slept.



The first year with Liam was amazing. He rolled over, scooted, stood up, crawled and then walked at 8 months. He had 6 teeth come in at 6 months and decided he was too ‘grown up’ to nurse anymore and wanted mommies food off her plate. The one thing that I didn’t realize would happen at 6 months was sucking his fingers. He was in a bit of pain and would suck on his middle two fingers, a habit he still has at 5 yrs. Liam was a very obedient baby and toddler, he also would laugh when he fell down. I miss how he would suck his fingers and hold onto my hair. If it wasn’t my hair he would find someone with long hair and wrap it around his fingers. Liam’s second favorite thing to do was to play with the guitar. He would drag it around the house and get so excited when Jeff Davis from church would play. Liam taught me that kids really can learn a lot when they are little and he knew his letters and sounds by 12 months. It seems like he wasn’t a baby that long and its true. Before Liam turned one I was 3 months pregnant with our second baby.

Liam fun facts:
Toys: Disney's Cars (2006-2011)/dressing up
Food: Loves crackers and vegemite
Loves to dance and has been a ring bearer 3 times.
Learned to ride his bike on two wheels at family camp this year (Sept 2011)
Music: He is taking guitar lessons
He also hates to loose, something we are working on.
Favorite Color: Red

Liam is such a gift from God. He is a great older brother, loving and kind. Like most kids needs some parental directional changes (discipline), but I am thankful for him. Having children is truly a sanctifying experience. I have grown as a person and Christian from having children. We have had a tough days and I know more are to come, it’s the happy times and memories that we build as a family that I cherish. I look forward to see how God leads him in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment